I was visiting the online guestbook for an African-American teen who attended my high school alma mater and was recently gunned down in a senseless act of violence.
While there were pages and pages of condolences expressed, I was appalled to see how many adults and young people don't have command of the English language. I was amazed at how many times what should have said "sorry for your loss" was written as "sorry for your lost" (and on a couple of occasions "losted") or "I heard he passed" was written as "I heard he past".
Something is terribly wrong with the education system (as we all know), especially when the faces being taught are predominantly minority. Our children need to excel at the basics of reading and writing in order to escape low paying positions and a future of poverty. If the parents aren't doing this at home (which in this case they apparently are not or perhaps they are but don't know any better themselves) then it has to be done at school. After all, isn't that what schools are there for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment