I was watching VH1 the other night when a Burger King commercial came on to the tune of Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back, featuring the creepy Burger King, Sponge Bob, and a bunch of gyrating dancers. Imagine my horror when I discovered that this commercial is promoting a kids meal.
Now, the Baby Got Back tune has been used in media targeted to children before but this time it wasn't as cute as when the Donkey sings it in the movie Shrek. The females featured and the subtle message it conveyed is something that one might expect to see on BET's 106 and Park.
I want to know, who were the marketing geniuses (and I use that term sarcastically) who decided that this campaign, targeted at children, was ok? What happened to good old fashioned, common sense? I know the excuse in business is that "sex sells", but is "sex" really necessary to sell a kids meal?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
What Happened to Common Sense?
Labels:
Baby Got Back,
Burger King,
commercial,
marketing,
sex,
Shrek,
Sir Mix-a-Lot,
Sponge Bob
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment